Day visits to other provinces
Want to visit the beach as well?
The Frisian islands make a great day out with some of the best beaches in the Netherlands:
- Terschelling Island:
The ferry to Terschelling leaves from Harlingen, Friesland (1 hr 45 mins ferry crossing)
- Ameland Island:
A ferry service runs from Holwerd, Friesland
(45 minutes by catamaran or two hours by regular ferry).
Excursions are available from Ameland to visit seal colonies on Robbeneiland
- Schiermonnikoog Island:
The ferry runs several times a day from Lauwersoog, Groningen
(45 minutes crossing time).
The ports are around 1 1/2 hours from Diever
Using the farmhouse as a base to explore the Netherlands?
Are you looking for a central base from which to explore the Netherlands?
- The city of Groningen ('shop till you drop') & the German border are all less than an hour's drive, with the provincial capital at Assen being just a 25-minute drive away!
- apart from being able to explore the north and east of the country with ease, ‘Under the Oaks’ is also very centrally located for visiting both the south / south-west of the Netherlands, as well as the west of the country. The travelling times for reaching these areas are considerably shorter than travelling via the highway network in the west of the country, as our roads and highways here in the north and east are less congested.
- Being situated in the south-west corner of Drenthe, Diever is placed at the crossroads of three Dutch provinces - Drenthe, Overijssel and Friesland - all uniquely different to one another. So when you are in Drenthe, why not discover Friesland and Overijssel provinces as well - the borders lie just 15 minutes away by car, with the highway just 11 kms (7 miles) away!
Driving times from Diever to other parts of the Netherlands?
- it’s less than 2 hours from Diever to the southern city of Eindhoven (the Belgian border is just south of there).
A visit to Amsterdam while staying in Diever?
- many of our guests drive the 45 minutes to the suburbs of Almere, and then take the short train journey from there into Amsterdam city. It’s much easier to park your car outside the city and use the fast and efficient public transport from there!
Wishing to explore Rotterdam and the Hague in the south-west of the country as well?
- these cities are also just 90-120 minutes away. Again, travelling times from our region to these cities is faster than from many other parts of the country, as the highway network via Zwolle to Utrecht has lighter traffic.
We want you to have a wonderful and memorable holiday!
- It is our pleasure to be of assistance to you before and during your stay, and it is our priority to make sure that you will have a pleasant vacation.
- We are happy to offer any help on preparing your trip.
- We do advertise on many holiday home sites, including those operated by agencies with a 'live' instant booking function. Certain dates (especially around Easter, in Summer and Christmas/New Year) can be very popular, with some dates booked more than a year in advance. At certain times of the year many people are looking for the same dates. In order to avoid any disappointment, please ask us to hold your dates on option for you, if you are unable to confirm immediately.